Friday, May 13, 2016

Life: Container Garden Update

It's time for the second update to the container garden. I'll admit, after a few weeks of absolutely nothing coming from the seeds I put down, I was beginning to worry. My worries were however unjustified as the saplings suddenly sprung from the seed starter only two weeks ago.

I'm now happy to announce that I've obtained almost 100% germination in the seed starter this year. The only one that has yet to come up of my original set is the basil that I put down. For whatever reason, it's being stubborn and not wanting to break the top soil. I don't know if it's a case of putting too much soil on top of it or just maybe not providing enough moisture or what but it's just not giving in to the growing season!

With what I have already sprouting however, the harvest this year should easily dwarf what I put down last year. Even though this year I've only been aiming at a few species of plant, I think this year I have properly put down what will actually be used in abundance rather than only really eating the jalapenos that I put down last year. There were far too many unused plants last year.

With this being said, I am a man of lessons. Part of the reason that I like to blog is because I like to be able to look back and see what I did to create the conditions that I did for that time period. This year, let it be noted that I started the seeds in a non-covered seed starter (different from the fully covered seed starter the year prior), gave them just enough moisture with a spray bottle each day to cover the top soil, and waited until the seeds sprouted out before removing them from the unlighted laundry room where they were to first germinate.

I feel that this process has not worked nearly as well as the prior year where I used the covered seed starter, smaller cells but in more abundance, and with a good amount of starting sun light. I'll have to remember this for next season when I try my next hand at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment